Wednesday 2 October 2013

The Importance of Patience and Nice Guys

Just turned my latest novel into my editor. My fingers are crossed. I hope she likes it. The waiting part is the worst, but I understand that she is legitimately busy. I will be patient. I'm also waiting to hear back from another publisher about a short story I submitted. This is a waiting game, for sure.

Meanwhile, as a distraction, I'm focusing on another story I've neglected for a while. It's fun to get back to it. My main character's love interest is totally my type. He's a really nice guy. I tend to write nice guys, I guess because I like them the most.

It's funny how the stereotype is that the jerk gets the girl. I've dated jerks, too. I used to like them when I was considerably younger, but I'm all about nice people now. This guy, David, is incredibly sweet, and I love letting my heroine discover the layers of his kindness. He keeps it on the down low, so as not to seem like one of those 'nice guys' (who doesn't get the girl). It's a fine balance in the story, as I'm sure it is for a lot of guys in real life.

I have so much love for nice guys, the unsung heroes of our time. When I think of the guys I know in real life who inspire the character David, I'm filled with hope. I know a lot of really great men who are caring and compassionate and feminist in their politics and all around awesome. It baffles me that jerks get any attention at all. It really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment