Monday 6 April 2015

The Challenge of Writing Desire in long term Relationships

Can we desire what we already have? Or is desire by nature a yearning for something more? I'm struggling with this question in my writing right now. I have been reading a 'for Dummies' book on writing and it breaks things down in such a simple way. Who is your main character? What does he/she want?

Easy!

Or is it? The challenge with writing is that characters are so much like human beings and we are so annoyingly complicated. My latest heroine is giving me some challenges because it is not clear exactly what she wants.

This is the first time I'm working with the idea of a fresh spark within a longterm relationship. I'm desirous of writing this plot line because, well, I've been in long term relationships most of my adult life. In my own way, I've been asking this question all along. How do you want what you already have? How do you keep the desire?

I'm guessing that creating that spark requires seeing things in a fresh way. Maybe remembering how things were in the beginning when you couldn't live without the other person. Or thinking about what it would be like if you met for the first time right now.

She wants him to look at her the way he used to. She wants to see him the way she used to. That's it right there. That's the desire. In a sense, it is to go back to how things were at the beginning while still maintaining the sense of intimacy that has come from all the years together.

Dang, this one's not going to be easy to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment