Friday 10 October 2014

Super Fab!

So it has been a while since my last post. All I Ever Wanted came out in the spring and I have to say I'm pleased with it. So far the best review I received came from a young woman who emailed me and said that my character, Claudia, really spoke to her because she'd also kind of let herself go in the past little while.

It's easy to stop practicing self-care, especially when you get busy with stuff. In the book, Claudia is busy with life. She's writing her PhD thesis and doesn't have time to shave her legs. Also, she and her live-in boyfriend are in a rut, arguing over stuff like whose turn it is to clean the toilet. I was able to draw on real life a little bit here, I confess.

For me, the fun with Claudia's journey was taking her from mousy to fabulous. Yes, she also finds Sebastian Porter, the handsome and successful philanthropist and of course she has some of the best sex of her life and experiences unconditional love, but the real journey for Claudia is an inward one. She gets back to valuing herself and that's so important.

Life is full of ups and downs and I'll be the first to admit that it's easy to fall out of positive habits. Sometimes when I'm writing, I can go for a frighteningly long time without showering. But, like Claudia, eventually I get fed up with being schlubby and that's when it's time to bust out the eye-liner and fancy dress. In the mean time, it's pretty fabulous to write about sexy heroines in the comfort of my pajamas.




No comments:

Post a Comment